Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cookies, anyone?


  How boring would a dull old cookie recipe be, huh? 
  So, here's a LEGO  back story: 

 
Uh-Oh!  Someone overdid it shoveling snow.  Dehydration, exhaustion, starvation!  I think that gluten-free chocolate chip cookies will be just what the doctor orders!  I may even let the patient have some!

I am in a hurry, and although I usually do miserably with boxed cookie mixes, I am going to give these a try.  Oh, and I usually do miserably because I tend NOT to follow the directions precisely.......or even closely.  Everything you need is pictured here:  vanilla, egg, softened stick of butter.  The directions state specifically that the butter should be soft and NOT melted, so plan ahead and take it out of the fridge before you start baking.

I have my sous chef helping me today.  I am certain that she will keep me from going astray from the package recipe.  See the hand mixer -- The recipe does not call for one.  But, well, that's just me.  Ignore it.  We didn't use it.  The folks at Betty Crocker clearly know their stuff.

Follow the package directions. One tsp of vanilla, and the mix into a mixing bowl.  And, yes, Wegman's is one of my most favorite places to grocery shop.

One egg.

Someone didn't take the butter out of the fridge soon enough.  It's a little melted, mostly softened, and it was all good.


Now, this is another place where I usually get into trouble with boxed mixes.  I want the ingredients to mix together practically instantly.  If they are too dry, I start to panic and think about putting in more butter or a little water.  Fortunately, that pesky little sous chef kept me from doing that.  I stirred.

And stirred..............


.....and stirred.  I've included about three minutes worth of stirring photos so if you use this mix, you can see that all it takes is stirring and more stirring.

After about two minutes, it starts to look like it is actually going to be wonderful cookie dough.

We are almost there.

And, right about now, I am breathing a sigh of relief because I typically never get anything from a box to turn out right.

And now it looks like cookie dough and we are ready to make cookies.

Teaspoon-sized cookies.  And, thank you -- I am wearing OPI Romeo and Joliet.  And, I think that we are making box mix cookies instead of cookies from scratch  because I was at the nail salon in the morning.


Spoon onto a silpat.  The dough is not difficult to handle.  In fact, my sous chef did most of the cookies.


The teaspoon size is perfect.  You don't want to make them too large because they will spread while baking.

I use two teaspoons to shape and drop.  I have to say, any cookie dough that lets me do this is going to become a favorite of mine.

My sous chef, whose cookie experience has been limited to slice and bake, handles the dough with ease which speaks well of her talent and the workability of the dough.

OK - so we have some work to do.  But, Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.  It took awhile 'cause they probably stopped for milk and cookie breaks!


Ready for the AGA.  350 degrees F.  I use the convection setting on my oven -- I get amazing cookie results with it.

Presentation is important, and since we are bringing these to a homeschool potluck, the sous chef has located a lovely, winter-themed plate.  Aunt M and Uncle R brought it back from New England - it was a Christmas gift years ago.

This cookie dough is SO lucky!  Into the AGA they go.

Ten minutes on the timer.  I usually set it for one to two minutes less than a recipe calls for as it is an incredibly efficient oven.

DING! They're finished!  They look and smell fabulous!  Use a potholder so you don't get burned.

Onto the cooling rack after a few minutes out of the oven.  My cooling rack is from Pampered Chef and it is one of my most favorite things in my kitchen.

Cool!  We are really pleased with the fact that these are not crumbly, and they look wonderful!

From the cooling rack (about 10 minutes there), to the pretty plate.

I think the box mix says the yield is 24-36 cookies.  I know that it yielded exactly what it said it would.  That was excellent, because I have found that many times one doesn't get out of a mix what it says.

We tasted a few at home, and everyone loved these!  They were excellent!  The kids at the potluck inhaled them!


                Oh!  What about our snow-weary LEGO people? 

Well, sadly, these guys don't have health insurance so they don't get any cookies.  In fact, they are lucky they haven't been kicked to the curb.

Miss B, though, has great coverage.  She's all better, enjoying milk and cookies, and then she will get kicked to the curb.........er, um, I mean discharged.

TOMORROW, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies From Scratch and the LEGO CREW will rate which tastes better!

2 comments:

  1. Who knew that BC made gluten free cookie mix? I follow the non-recipe way to make cookies. Yours look delish. Your nails look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm not sure if the nails are an obsession or a compulsion, but it is what it is! Make those cookies!

    ReplyDelete