Monday, March 21, 2011

In Our House, 'E.D.' Is Not What You Think It Is.............................................

according to my husband, it is 'Electronically Deprived.'  A few posts back, I posted about the fact that our family has now been television-free for almost FOURTEEN months.  Yes, we watch DVDs from Netflix and Blockbuster and RedBox, but we have no cable, no satellite and no FIOS tv service.

For the most part, we are surviving.  The kids miss Sponge-Bob, but we get DVDs when they really get whiney about it.

Yesterday, we were in H.H. Gregg looking for a clothes dryer to replace the one we have here - we have a great washer but a really, crummy dryer.  Michael went immediately to the perimeter of the store to watch Tranformers (he caught it RIGHT at my favorite line from the entire movie:  'This is the official start of the remodel.')  He stretched out on the floor, and he was happy.  The girls went to another section of the electronics/video part of the store and were immediately sucked into a movie on a really really nice sixty-something inch screen with speakers EVERYWHERE!  I went over to where they were about 5 minutes later, and I was immediately sucked in as well.  I recognized Jon Cusak, Amanda Peet, Danny Glover, and someone from ER.....but I had no clue what film it was.  That did not stop me, however, from sitting down on the floor with the girls and watching intently.  It was so relevant to our Emergency Preparedness Project from just a few days before......and so clear that unless we put rocket boosters on our Rubbermaid container and were all able to fit in it, well, we may as well just kiss our you-know-whats good-bye!  Flashlights and saltine crackers were not going to help us one single bit.   And that propane stove that Madison was eyeing covetously was only going to help if it could get itself (and us) to WARP speed!

Mariano told us he was going to wander next door to Barnes & Noble (how intellectual of him) and we told him we would be watching whatever we were watching - we still didn't know the name of the film.

An employee provided us the name of the film:  '2012' -- good thing we have our Emergency Preparedness Kit ready b/c 2012 is literally right around the corner.  Another employee told me that if we purchased the big screen tv, he would give us the DVD of the film.  I looked at him and told him that we had a tv of similar proportions at home but it was wrapped in plastic as we were in the throes of home renovation.  I added that I don't watch tv or films (it's true, I don't -- I watch baseball games........typically NYY baseball games, but little else) but I had really gotten sucked into this one particular film. 

Mariano came back into the store at this point and explained to the salesperson that his family was 'E.D.'  THAT did get a strange look.  He explained that we are 'electronically deprived.'  The salesperson didn't even laugh.  He looked at us like we were absolutely one sandwich shy of a picnic!

Michael watched Transformers in its entirety, and the girls and I watched 2012 until the very end...or very beginning depending on your point of view.  Then we exited the store.  It was 5:30pm, the sun was still shining, we felt like we had gone to the movies, Mariano was sitting on the bench outside the store reading the book he had purchased. EVERYONE was happy AND it hadn't cost the typical $125.00 for the five of us to go to the movies.

Electronically deprived, perhaps!  $125.00 on the plus side, PRICELESS!!

5 comments:

  1. What a funny story! Usually when I approach that side of the store some football game is dancing on 50 screens all at the same time. That's enough to make me run away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, regarding your pic down below about 8 years to go in that first 40 yrs--you're ruining my story that i'm still 25!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey are you not on facebook any more? that's the only way I can get in touch with you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariann, thank you for your comment on my blog. I can't tell you how much comfort I got from reading that. His grandparents are on their way here for the birth of their granddaughter and I can't help but wish they had been here for our son's birth as well, as sad as it was.
    I only wish that you never had the reason to relate your experience to me. So sorry for your loss, truly.
    .
    .
    .
    We are also E.D., of sorts. We don't have cable either and haven't for a very, very long time. Don't really miss it but I do get sucked in when I watch TV at others houses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh gosh, this post is hilarious! I could totally envision this scene :) We only do netflix and dvds also, before that, we totally got rid of the t.v. for several yeas, so putting one up with netflix really seemed like a luxury!

    ReplyDelete